From its founding in 1874 until 1895, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine shared its faculty and facilities with the University of Nashville. While the two schools issued separate diplomas and often distinct publications, during this period they were in practice the same institution. In 1895, Vanderbilt severed this relationship with the University of Nashville and moved its medical school to a new campus with its own faculty.